IoT platform development for Morning smart coffee machine
Morning is a premium coffee maker that offers a coffee machine paired with custom native iOS and Android apps that bring additional functionality. Users can select recipes from the top world’s coffee roasters, set brew temperature and output, save favorites to their profiles, and use other helpful features.
The Morning team was looking for a tech company that could take over their software platform development to improve overall UX and add new features. They needed a team of iOS, Android, back-end, and cloud developers with strong IoT expertise.
Our mobile and cloud developers redesigned and simplified the UI/UX, added animations to machine maintenance and setup instructions, improved the existing iOS and Android app functionality and implemented new features. We also enhanced the client’s API and backend and took over cloud infrastructure management.
Morning contacted us with the request to assemble a team of iOS, Android, backend, and cloud engineers to cover its ongoing tech needs. They sought ways to enhance existing Android and iOS apps with additional features and wanted someone to support their AWS cloud services. Morning also had a Shopify store which they needed to connect to their apps to simplify the purchasing process for end users.
The Lemberg Solutions team started the cooperation with the discovery phase by reviewing the Morning software platform and documentation on API and BLE. After thoroughly analyzing the client’s backend, native iOS and Android apps, and existing AWS cloud infrastructure, we offered a strategy to improve the apps’ UI/UX, complete code refactoring, and implement new features.
In the course of the cooperation, our team:
- Redesigned the apps, which resulted in an improved UI and UX. Key components of the redesign included a refined user profile with a well-organized layout and makeover of the coffee machine maintenance instructions to promote greater ease of use. To make the machine more convenient, we created animations for the most complicated machine setup steps.
- Improved the client’s software platform using AWS Cognito, AWS Amplify, and AWS IoT since our client used them to build the apps. Our engineers fixed the authorization feature and developed push notifications as well as single sign on (SSO) feature.
- Created a visual search feature based on image recognition using AWS Recognition service. End users can take a picture of a coffee bag or tin and the apps will recommend a suitable recipe from the client’s recipe base.
- Enabled users to share coffee recipes via social media.
- Reworked the “save the recipe” feature. Since end users can add a limited number of recipes, our team enabled them to see which recipes they have already used and which ones are still pending. This way, users can easily keep track of their saved recipes and try new ones without worrying about reaching the limit.
- Connected the iOS and Android apps to the client’s existing Shopify platform. With this feature, users can see whether specific coffee is available for purchase and buy it directly from the app.
- Added the coffee consumption and recent history features. End users can check how much coffee and what kinds they consumed for different periods of time.
- Enabled OTA updates installation via the apps.
Our enhancements improved user experience and their satisfaction with the apps and coffee machine. We continue the cooperation with Morning, taking over machine logic setup using an NFC tag and other tasks.
How it works
As the co-founder of DrinkMorning.com by Akronym.Pte.Ltd, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for the outstanding work Lemberg Solutions has demonstrated in mobile app development and IoT system support. Their exceptional technical expertise and dedication to delivering high-quality solutions have truly exceeded our expectations, elevating our product to new heights. We look forward to continuing our fruitful collaboration with the Lemberg Solutions team as they remain an invaluable partner in our success.